[no subject]

>> Ours is glass wool with a sheet of
>> plastic.  Attics down here are shallow
>> since roofs are not built for snow load.
>> There's almost no usable space up
>> there, except in the middle 10' or so
>> of each wing.
>
> Plastic backing wouldn't last more than
> a couple years in our heat...

I suspect you're wrong about that.  The plastic commonly called Visqueen is made from low density polyethelene, a type of
thermoplastic with a melting temperature around 230ºF.  It doesn't break down from prolonged exposure to temperatures lower than its
melt point.  Even in the SoCal desert attic temperatures never reach 230ºF unless there's a wildfire present and at that point you
have more serious concerns than the vapor attic barrier.

>>> Then there is radiant heat. In our house
>>> some <censored> before us has cut off
>>> the pipes but it must have been marvelous:
>>> There is a 2" concrete mud bed over all
>>> the floors and lots of copper pipes in there.
>>
>> I redid the master bath in my CT home
>> some years ago.  It had always been
>> cold and I hate walking on cold tile in
>> bare feet so I installed radiant floor heating.
>> You're right.  It is wonderful!  In Florida I
>> only need heat a few times a year but my
>> wife (tropical girl that she is) needs heat
>> any time the outside air is below about
>> 80ºF or so it seems.  :^)
>
> Hmm, mine does, too, even though she is
> from Berlin/Germany where it's 0F or less
> much of the winter.

Heh, Angela occasionally asks me to take her on a drive up North during the winter so she can see what snow looks like up close.
She's only seen it at a distance in the Alps during several trips to Europe.  I know her better than to ever do that.  She'd make me
drive straight home the moment she fealt chilly air.  :^)

>> Here we don't need insulation as much
>> as physical strength to keep hurricanes
>> and alligators out.
>
> Our here it's eartquakes and bears ;-)

And idiot politicians who can't even act.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics