Re: Z-Wave RF range

> Obviously, our fish doesn't understand the "first law of holes".

Obviously, Mr Houston doesn't understand how to disagree without personal affrontery.

> Zigbee can also use the same ISM
> band as Z-Wave so the deliberate
> misrepresentation would appear to
> be in the Z-Wave FAQ. Here's one
> of about a zillion links showing this.

No, sir.  The deliberate misrepresentation is yours.  Those who've been here a long time are accustomed to that.

> 4 hops MAX means that the node at the
> end of the 4th hop is the end of the
> universe as far as Z-Wave is concerned...

Allow me to assist you with the math here.  Assumiong a 30-foot range, that's 4 x 30 feet in any direction.  Taken to the design
limit, if the controller is in the center of the structure, that means a signal could propogate 120 feet in every direction (a 120'
radius ov coverage).  If one were to build a round structure (a bit strange, admittedly, but not unheard of) with the controller in
the middle one could cover 45,000 sf.  In more conventional design, a 200' W by 100' L home could be covered with a single
controller.  That would be a 20,000 sf home.

In reality performance would be limited by all of the things which normally trouble RF propogation.  A more conservative expectaion
might limit coverage to relatively small structures, perhaps half that size.  I can accept a system that might not handle private
residences over 10,000 sf in size.

> It cannot hop again to reach any of
> those other 217 nodes - they may as
> well be in parallel universes.

The above blindly assumes that all 217 modules are placed outside the range.  Of course, no installer would be sio foolish as to
install 217 nodes over 120 feet from the controller (assuming one's home is big enough to even have such problems).

> Why anyone would buy anything from
> such a clueless idiot who tries to cover
> his ignorance with bluff, bluster, character
> assassination, distortion and outright lies
> is beyond me.

That might explain Mr. Houston's lack of success in business.  It is sad, really.  He has so much potential.  Oh, well.