Re: Dedicated Z-wave sites? (driver comments)

The 'micro-kernel' concept has been around for a long time. The problem is
that having all the drivers (particularly video drivers and media drivers,
which have to move a lot of data) outside of the kernel requires a level of
performance that wasn't previous there in PCs. I believe that the original
NT had a fairly strict micro-kernel design, right? That wasn't an issue for
video when it was a server operating system running a text terminal. But
when it's a media machine, as XP is commonly used for, it's an issue, and I
believe that they moved away from that architcture for completely
understandable and practical reasons.

Given sufficient hardware oomph, and probably some amount of support in the
CPU/chipset, it's probably a lot more reasonable to do it, and it makes
sense to do so as soon as it's possible. And it sounds like Vista is where
MS decided they could afford to do so.

But, this is not required to make a very reliable automation server. That's
doable right now, as proven by the many users who have done so.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd
www.charmedquark.com