Re: Dedicated Z-wave sites?

"Dean Roddey" <droddey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Zpigh.9298$hI.752@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > That's a lotta futzing and "kid gloving."  It likely means no one will
be
> > plugging IP cams and ethernet switches into that same network which
could
> > limit usefulness in a big way, at least in terms of HA.
> >

> I'm not sure what you mean there. A computer isn't going to self-assemble.
> Either you are going to buy one, where someone has already done this work
> find the good components and make sure that they are high quality, or you
> are going to do it yourself. Most people will probably just buy, so most
of
> the 'futzing' is typing in the credit card number.

How can an end-user evaluate the "goodness" of a component without extensive
experience?  I've had tremendous driver problems with gear from big name
companies.  When hardware breaks new ground, as is often the case with high
end video cards, it sometimes tales quite a while for even the industry
giants to ship stable drivers.  I've seen badly set-up machines from Dell,
HP, Gateway and Compaq and others.

What do CQ users do when one of the updates or bug fixes that MS is pushing
out all the time breaks their setup?  When that happens, don't your clients
call you?  What I am trying to say is that if you build/setup a system so
that there's no web surfing, no frequent SW changes, etc. then you're really
limiting the expansion capabilities of the setup.  In other words, what you
need to do to make Windows run reliable is to keep it in an isolation ward
after birth and only change things when there's no other choice.

What would worry be most about your product, if I were in your shoes, is
that if MS decides it's the wave of the future, they'll just take what they
like and put it in the next edition of media center.  When they decided to
put networking in Windows, it just about killed Novell dead.   When they
decide to take on HA/HT integration, the same sort of scenario will play
out.

--
Bobby G.