Re: X10 signals can be TOO strong!

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>The problem may be more evident in an Insteon system because every module is
>also a transmitter.  So average signal levels are apt to be much stronger
>than a typical X10 system.

I don't think so. While I had no way to calibrate things and have no idea
how the ACT Scope-Test2 might affect them, the Insteon signals I observed on
my 'scope were in the range one would expect from the Insteon spec (3.1Vpp).
The "strength" of the Insteon approach is the ubiquity (with adequate
modules spaced appropriately) of the signal rather than its magnitude. See
the Insteon article on my web page for some 'scope shots with the vertical
scale being 2V/div for the Insteon signal.

     http://davehouston.net/insteon.htm

X-10 used ~10Vpp with the PL513, TW523, TM751, RR501 and almost everything
else prior to the CM11A which has ~5Vpp but which falls off badly during the
1mS burst to just 3-4Vpp at the end (John Galvin published a couple of
simple fixes). The CM15A and Leviton's HCPRF outputs are ~6Vpp. Europe
limits PLC level to 5Vpp so that may be the reason X-10 reduced the output.
Did you ever measure the CM14A output?

     http://davehouston.net/x10-sig.htm

http://davehouston.net