Re: Dedicated Z-wave sites?

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:cJSdnUvB1ri3LBzYnZ2dnUVZ_u63nZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> That's a lotta futzing and "kid gloving."  It likely means no one will be
> plugging IP cams and ethernet switches into that same network which could
> limit usefulness in a big way, at least in terms of HA.

I'm not sure what you mean there. A computer isn't going to self-assemble.
Either you are going to buy one, where someone has already done this work to
find the good components and make sure that they are high quality, or you
are going to do it yourself. Most people will probably just buy, so most of
the 'futzing' is typing in the credit card number.

And it doesn't mean that cameras cannot be plugged into the same network.
I'm not sure where you drew that conclusion from. Now in a high end system,
they may well choose to have a separate general use network and a dedicated
A/V and automation network. It's not an unreasonable thing to do if you want
the ultimate in stability and the cost isn't an issue. But for most folks
it's not going to be necessary.

And the same issues would apply to any networked automation system that
doesn't use a proprietary network, PC-based or not, so I'm not sure I see
how it would be a ding against PC-based systems specifically. I don't think
many systems will be using much proprietary networks moving forward.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd
www.charmedquark.com