Re: How to turn on a light across a room without a wire?

"E. Lee Dickinson" <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> That's really tough. Since you can't change the switch or outlet and
>> probably cannot put holes in the ceiling, the methods suggested will not
>> work.
>
>I don't consider replacing a switch to be "rewiring," as it's such a simple
>task. However, both Dave and Gerald bring up that point and they're right --
>if you can't replace the switch, my suggestion won't work.
>
>That said, I've replaced switches in every apartment I've leased. Replace
>them back when you leave, no one will be the wiser. I suppose you could get
>in trouble if they noticed it while doing maintenance.
>
>A stick-a-switch with a transciever and two lamp modules will likely work,
>but I've had terrible luck with the switches. I have a few in my house, and
>there are transcievers within 10 feet of them for them to be reliable. The
>buttons sometimes stick, and they batteries occasionally die. They've been
>for me both a pain in the butt, but I do love having them right at my
>headboard for shutting down the house at night.

If someone does a little rewiring that causes a fire and kills a few
residents, the owners of the apartment building or complex will to be in
deep legal doodoo so leases tend to prohibit such things.

It is a very simple matter to increase the range of the Stick-a-Switch.

     http://davehouston.net/passive.htm

I have no similar simple suggestions for increasing the working life of a
Stick-a-Switch - mine have all died prematurely.

http://davehouston.net