Re: XTB, reliablity, etc.

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:zzzfh.477514

<stuff snipped>

> The dim problem was easy to identify and solve.  I can still recall that
> time X10 stopped working after I held the dim button down.  That was back
in
> the era when we had to re-boot Windows several times a day, so I did the
> obvious - reboot the RF transceiver.  When the pattern repeated, the fix
was
> just as obvious - don't hold the button down.

I handled my "endless DIM" problem the same way I handle any issue I
experience that's not within my knowledgebase.  Whether it's batch files,
lancing boils or X-10 issues.  I Googled it.  It took less than ten minutes
to find a solution and an incredible new resource: CHA.  From visiting CHA I
now have XTB's, AHC Maxi controllers and AHC transceivers - things I might
never have found out about otherwise.

> We learn things on a daily basis.  Things to do and not to do.  We wait
for
> the mixer to stop before pulling the paddles out of the bowl.  Some of us
> found out what happens if we don't.

[GrossOut Alert! - don't read this paragraph if you are squeamish!] We
learned last night that if you lance an ear infection on a dog, do it inside
something like a large, easily washable container like a 39 gal trash can.
Li'l Rascal shook her head as wet dogs do only three times, as we recall,
but by that time our faces had been sprayed by blood.  Apparently terriers
have ears that have two discrete membranes and when infected, they engorge
like an apple turnover.  Lance them and there's an immediate rapid fire
paintball sort of discharge.  Then there's the head-shaking blood spattering
followup that made our bathroom look like a scene from the Texas chainsaw
massacre or Scarface.  Ever seen a slow motion shot of a model coming out of
a swimming pool and shaking off the water?  It was sort of like that, only
much more horrible.  Much, much more.  There was blood on the ceiling. Blood
on the walls.  Blood *behind* the toilet tank!  Sorry to drag on about this
but writing about it helps me deal with the fact that this is more than I
signed up for!  My wife wryly noted as the cleanup continued "at least the
bathroom light stays on now" to perhaps remind me about how much she's put
up with regarding my X-10 "hobby."

> The more complicated things become, the more potential problems.  A CM11A
> X10 system is vastly more complicated than a plug-in wall timer, but most
of
> you expect it to work the same.  Actually, it works better because those
> dang wall timers would crap out after a couple of years.  That's why we
went
> with X10 in the first place - those old brown BSR modules from Sears and
> that old timer with the blue readout.  It just worked SO much better than
> those old mechanical timers.

That's interesting because that's where a number of people I know have made
the jump to X-10.  Simulating a "lived in" house with those damn dial timers
with the pull out clips at 15 minute intervals was infuriating, especially
if you actually wanted to USE those lamps outside the pre-set intervals.
One power failure and lights were coming on during the day!

I can't recall whether I bought a GE Home minder or the CP290 first.  That's
before I started keeping inventory records.  That's before PC's, even, IIRC
or darn close.  I still have them, BTW, and they were still working, the
last time I looked.  The CP290 makes a great controller for arthritics
because the buttons are so large!

> Most X10 systems today have evolved way beyond
> a clock timer and a few plug-in wall modules.

Amen!  Couple X-10 modules to Ocelots and other sophisticated controllers
and you can build an incredible complex system.  Sprinklers, Christmas
lights, hot tubs, fish tanks, animal enclosures and lots of other things all
have been automated via X-10.  I think a number of recent detractors really
underestimate how much people value a system that allows them to automate an
incredible amount of gear without having to string wires.  In the article I
cited that said 25% of Americans would change out a switch, I think it's
safe to assume a much smaller number, then, would consider themselves
competent to run electrical wiring.  I'd say half, which makes that 1 in 8.

> The CM11A was not a perfect system, but many of us learned how to use it.
> And coming from Windows, the fix was easy any time it stopped working.
The
> beta CM14A was significantly more reliable.  And the Ocelot runs months
and
> months without a glitch.  The best automation system is one you don't even
> think about.  That's how X10 works for us.

Automation is something that really interests me.  Yes, there's more
reliable but nothing has come close to offering the panoply of devices that
X-10 has.  I just picked up a VCR commander for $5.  Now I can take an old,
retired VCR from the shelf and set it up to monitor the side door cam and
record when there's any motion as a backup to my front door PC recording
setup.  All possible because X-10 is an established and now completely open
protocol.  X-10 gives me an almost endless opportunity to explore and
experiment, and at a price that doesn't bust the budget.

> I agree with you that X10 isn't perfect.  But it isn't all that difficult
> troubleshoot problems, especially if you have a signal level meter.  Once
> you get decent signal levels throughout your house, you will find problems
> are few and far between.

Yes.  To successfully implement X-10, you need a meter, a little screwdriver
to turn the codewheels and a willingness to do a little research if a
problem arises.  That's not asking a lot.

--
Bobby G.