Re: X10 and Linux

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 02:55:20 -0600, Gerald wrote:
> The current CM19A Linux kernel driver allows one to send commands by
> echoing "plain english" to the post that the device occupies. "echo +a1 >
> /dev/cm19a0" turns on A1. "echo ba1 > /dev/cm19a0" brightens A1 by one
> increment.
>
> I'd like a daemon that can read what the CM19A is receiving so I can use
> the extended remote codes provided by remotes like the Lola to set up
> "special circumstances" without wasting house/unit codes.

Try "cat /dev/cm19a0"

and if that works you can use: "cat /dev/cm19a0 | your_program"

With x10-cm19a-0.0.5 this works with standard X10 RF and a few but not all
of the Ninja RF codes.  Maybe there's a later version which is better
and does Lola as well.

I had hacked one of the earlier releases of this driver to receive and
transmit the raw RF bytes. (This is the way I think a driver ought to
work instead of limited to built-in translations for specific remotes.)

I was able to receive all the Standard X10 and Ninja codes. I could
could transmit all the Standard X10 codes by feeding back what I had
received but this didn't work for transmitting the Ninja codes - at least
my Ninja didn't respond.  I didn't have a second CM19A to monitor what
was being sent (if anything).

> I think Heyu or MrHouse may be overkill for my needs.

Maybe, but Heyu is self contained and you should be able to download
and install it in less than 10 minutes if you read the "INSTALL" file
in the tarball.  Run 'heyu monitor' in a terminal window and you'll see
all the PLC traffic on your power lines in clear text.

>                                                         If I can get RF
> receive to work I can do everything I need with bash and cron using lock
> files to arrange special settings. Eg. Push the "ARTIST" button on a
> Lola remote and have the daemon reading the receive values write out a
> file called /temp/quiet.x10.lock that would have my door motion sensors
> turn on the light when someone came up on the porch but NOT ring the
> doorbell.

As mentioned, Heyu doesn't yet receive RF.  But with an X10 HR12A
remote and the PLC from your V572 these lines in your Heyu configuration
file would do the above job after you run 'heyu engine':

  ALIAS lockit_command  A1 REMOTE2
  ALIAS motion_detector B1 REMOTE2
  ALIAS porch_light     C1 WS467

  SCRIPT lockit_command on :: heyu setflag 1
  SCRIPT lockit_command off :: heyu clrflag 1
  SCRIPT motion_detector on flag1 :: heyu on porch_light

With a CM17A Firecracker the last command could be replaced by
'heyu fon porch_light' to have the V572 send the PLC.

> For now, I can do this with the CM11A/CM17A combo by wasting house/unit
> codes to set up the special situations assuming there is something that
> can read the input from the CM11A and spit out the values to me in a
> readable form. Actually, I could do it with my CM19A and CM11A, if the
> CM17A can't receive then I may as well use the CM19A that receives but
> doesn't give me useful output.
>
> Charles, I hadn't thought about having to send the status request via
> PLC from the device wanting the status report. I may have to reevaluate
> that requirement as I really only want ONE PLC transmitter injecting
> signals onto the line. I got the 572 for that reason. It is installed
> directly at my main panel. When I add to my system so that overall wire
> lengths increase I can add an XTB to the output of the PSC05. I had
> thought about going with a W800RF32 but I wanted to inject the signal AT
> the main box to avoid having to track down weak signal problems in both
> directions to find the "leak". I know my signal starts at the same
> strength on both legs at the "head" of the system.

I think you're a little too concerned about having only one PLC
transmitter, but if that's to be the case, the V572 is not the right
choice for it.  If nothing else you're limited to On, Off, Dim, Bright,
AllLightsOn, AllUnitsOff commands. (And the Dim and Bright don't send
repeatable PLC for the same RF received unless WGL has fixed something
since the one I tested.)

Regards,
Charles Sullivan