Re: Ethernet-based systems for DIY?

Hi Don,

Diy ethernet, If you are willing to jump in SitePlayer, And Xport are
two pieces I have been working with for a couple of years. I got no
where with the extended X-10 protocol. I have a several circuits that
use both SitePlayer and Xport packages, when you include a pic
microcontroller and a nice front end like Homeseer, the sky is the
limit.

   Siteplayer is a web server on a 1" BY 1" board it includes a good
TCPIP/UDP stack. It also includes a serial port that I connect to a Pic
micocontroller. I have found an issue with the UDP protocol though. If
you pass more then a few bytes of data per message the SitePlayer will
loose itself.

   Xport is the best ethernet on a chip I have found so far. Its web
server is weaker then SitePlayer but its easier to program. Once
programmed, data that appears on the ethernet is sent to the serial
port and vise versa. Again hook a Pic Microcontroller to the serial
port and you have a powerful control device.

I chose HomeSeer as my front end because as a programmer it is fairly
easy to expand and write scripts to control and receive data. I am sure
there are others but I got the best bang for my buck. HomeSeer has a
plugin called HS_Commander that speaks UDP. And I completed a HS_TCPIP
plugin. With these two plugins I can monitor temperatures around my
home on a room by room basis as one example.

If you want to Google these names, and also look for Tom Igoe's web
page.

Good Luck