Re: Ability to drive multiple IR transmitters independantly from PC

Alexis wrote:
> ved_dhuru@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Ok, here's another approach; a hybrid of dave's solution and mine.
> >
> > Use my solution (above) to select the channel, and the particular relay
> > drives the USB IR's IR LED. You would then need only 1 USB IR. You
> > would have to hack it to get to the IR LED output.
> >
> > On the PC, you'd need two commnads to be sent; channel select and
> > on/off.
>
> Hi again Anand,
>
> Now that is a very interesting solution, that I hadn't considered at
> all.  It has the slight downside that global device control (i.e.
> switching on or off multiple devices simultaneously) takes a little
> longer, but the time taken should be acceptable.

Alexis, global commands should not be a problem if you incorporate them
in the VB program running on the PC (Channel1, Channel2, ....All
Channels, something like the All Lights ON in X10), and program the PIC
to respond to that, besides the individual pin control.

> I especially like that it is effectively infinitely expandable, as you
> would just need additional switching relays.

Yes; you would only be restricted by the number of I/O pins available
on the PIC. For a standard 40 pin that would be about 33 channels! And
of course you could use even more PICs, if required, each having its
own address.

 Do you happen to know if
> there are any schematics detailing how such a switching system might be
> implemented online?  I will have a look myself later tonight.

Are you referring to the hardware (PIC, Relay, USBIR hack) or the
(Serial port, PIC)?

You'll find a lot of answers on the URL I gave above.

This is getting interesting. I'd love to help you all I can, so feel
free to ask for more details. I'm travelling over the week-end, though,
so I can only repond on Monda/Tuesday.

Regards,

Anand