Re: XTB, reliablity, etc.

news:4572cea4.39288218@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> craft.brian@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>I understand what it does. It just doesn't help much for wired devices
>>that send x10. It only helps for things you plug in, which are RF
>>transponders and PC/microcontrollers. So, to actually use the XTB, you
>>will end up moving all of the user inputs to RF so they can be relayed
>>through a transponder to the XTB. Wired transmitters such as light
>>switches won't benefit. Even if you pop open the XTB and wire it
>>in-line with a wired controller, you'd need one at every location you
>>want to put a controller, which would be expensive and difficult to
>>install.
>
> No, you still haven't grasped what it does. It amplifies the PLC (i.e.
> PowrLine Control) signal of any X10 PLC transmitter plugged into it.

Which doesn't help with keypadlincs, 2-way switches, tabletop controllers,
or any other control a user is likely to have around the house. Very small
percentage of X-10 users likely have a master control pc/automation
controller/security panel. Most people have a few plug in controllers around
the house, maybe some tx/rx 3/4/5 way switch circuits.  XTB won't help with
those unless, as Brian rightly pointed out, one was wired in to every one of
those control points.

Now, Jeff's repeater/booster version, on the other hand.. :)