Re: XTB, reliablity, etc.

That was actually the TW523 that the XTB was originally designed to
interface with.  But it does look like the TM751, and someone might assume
it only buffers RF signals.

I thought a bit about this after my earlier message, and it sounds like the
OP arranges his filters by trial and error until he finds a configuration
that works.  Unfortunately, that is likely to be just over the minimum
acceptable signal levels, and the next widget plugged in could cause a
problem.

To get a reliable X10 system (and I mean RELIABLE), one has to do some
homework.  The fact that adding a filter doesn't seem to change anything
doesn't mean that device is not causing a problem.  It may not be enough by
itself, but can be when something else is added on the same circuit.

We know most computers will cause problems, so they all should have filters.
Compact fluorescents are a gray area.  Some work fine, but others can be a
problem, and will need a filter.  Some electronics, like our old Sony TV and
our APC UPS are major signal suckers, and need filters.  The best way to
identify these is to use a X10 signal level meter like the ESM1 to measure
signal levels throughout the house.  I use a palmpad to trigger commands
from a RF transceiver near the main controller.  Monitor each AC receptacle
with a possible problem device either plugged in or not.  If there is ANY
change when the device is either plugged in or switched on, than that device
should be filtered.  No maybe.  You want reliability.

Then go around to all receptacles.  If any read down around 100mV, that
circuit is a candidate for problems.  Locate any remaining signal suckers on
that circuit.  If none are found, then the overall signal level should be
increased.  That's why I built the XTB in the first place.  We have one
central circuit with nine X10 devices on it, including several transmitters.
That circuit read only 100mV.  Everything still worked, but was marginal.
Adding a XTB down at the breaker panel raised that circuit up to 1V, so I
don't have to worry about any random device being plugged in.

There are other things that can be done to make the house X10 friendly, like
move all X10 circuits to the same phase.  We also installed the small
Leviton 6287 filters on all X10 ceiling can circuits that could possibly use
CF bulbs.  I didn't bother testing the bulbs first because I was after
reliability.

If one takes the time to set the system up properly in the first place, then
there is not the continual debugging whenever the next electronic widget is
added.  Do the homework, and the system works.  Recently my wife said one
light didn't come on when it should have.  It turned out that after several
years the bulb finally burnt out.  I guess X10 can't fix everything.

Jeff