Re: What can I replace this latching relay system with?

Wow, you guys are great!

Unfotunately, it's probably going to be a couple of weeks before I can
do a complete trace of all wiring. Here's what I know so far:

1) Wall switches are installed in frames embedded in plaster rather
than full electric boxes, and are horizontal (The frames are
horizontal, but the switches are vertical. This configuration is no
longer sold by GE). Most plates only have one switch installed, but
some have two or three.
2) Latching relays are installed inside ceiling boxes. Low voltage
wires do not enter the boxes directly, but instead enter the relays
through an entry in the side drilled through the box. There is no
central controller. Unswitched 120V wiring runs to each ceiling box.
3) There is three conductor low voltage wiring going from each switch
to the ceiling box that it controls. Some relays have more than one
switch controlling them.
4) All boxes have a two conductor wire for power from a central
transformer. The power wire is daisy chained.
5) Some relays have an additional wire running from them to a 9-way
remote rotary controller.

I guess what I was hoping was that there would be something like an
RS422 network that I could run on the existing wires. I may need to
back to those controllers that Marc mentioned (but unfortunately those
don't even provide for any automation).

Steve