Re: What can I replace this latching relay system with?

Robert,

You can DL the Homevision software here:  http://www.csi3.com/hv_p3.htm

and play with.  I think you would be impressed.  Then, you can DL this
3rd party software for the HV at: http://hv.tclcode.com/download.html

Tinker with the software and I'm sure you'll find some features you've
wished for with other systems.

Before the tornado took my house apart I was running HomevisionXL and
was exceedingly thrilled with it and the Homevision controller.  I had
used an Ocelot for several years and always enjoyed excellent
reliabilty.  My biggest reservation about recommending the Ocelot for
this application is the latency in response to inputs to the SECU16.
Through experience I can tell you the Homevision unit responds quickly
to it's inputs - it is an event driven controller.  However, limiting
the existing switches to simple on/off, and using something like a
maxi-controller for dimming, the Ocelot could easily handle the task.

I have never actually "seen" one of the GE residential installations,
but I worked on one in a commercial installation many years ago.  They
controlled the 277v lighting with the control centers - cans about 16"
x 16" - with the typical momentary dpdt switches.  The latching relays
made it easy to install multi-way configurations to control any load
from many locations.  Worked great on the fluorescent bay lighting we
installed, but lacking dimming I wouldn't care for it in my home.

I always enjoy reading the posts by Marc Hult - he's really a smart
fellow - but I couldn't help but grin when I read his elaborate
solution involving chime transformers in the walls.  I can just imagine
explaining to a prospective purchaser how the lighting works ;-)  If I
ever found myself marooned on a deserted island I would hope Marc would
be close by ;-)

I think the simplicity of the GE system would make the modifications
easy.  A tone tracer and/or continuity checker could quickly identify
switch wires.  Assuming adequate space in the existing cabinets there
should be nothing to it.

John