Re: XTB-II Options

"Dennis" <djr-google.djrlar@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1156451513.857710.55790@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Jeff,
>
> I am still trying to understand why you don't offer an XTB that can
> amplify any X10 signal on the line as apposed to being limited to only
> those plugged into it. I'm honestly not criticizing, but here's my
> reasoning:
>
> 1. Yes, there are current amplifiers, but they are low power units.
> 2. Since I would have several sources of X10 signals, HA controller,
> CM11, RF receivers, etc, all of which need amplification, but could not
> be located in a central location for practical operational purposes,
> the current design of the XTB would require multiple units.
>
> Is there some technical/legal reason why you couldn't produce a unit
> like the new XTB II unit that received, amplified, and retransmitted
> the amplified signals from either leg of the power system?
>
> This to me would be the ideal design.
>
> This would be a unique, and superior, product  and not just another
> me-to in the X10 amplifier market.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have been kicking that idea around, but I'm
not sure I want to venture into that can of worms.

What you describe is the normal repeater function.  There are plenty of
repeaters now in the marketplace.  I used the Leviton 6201 myself with
limited success.  It worked well in our last house, which was smaller, and
had X10 devices on both phases.  Here we have all X10 devices on the same
phase, and the 6201 didn't significantly increase signal levels beyond those
of an unaided TW523.  Other repeaters may be capable of higher output
levels.

There are a couple of excellent articles on repeaters written by Phil
Kingery.  Here is one that deals with dim/bright commands:

http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/oct97/articles/kingery/kingery5.htm

First, some background on the XTB:  Many of us use high-end automation
controllers whose hardware was designed years ago when the TW523/PSC05 was
pretty much the only powerline interface available.  We all know its power
supply is barely adequate for even its limited output capability.  The
proliferation of electronic devices in recent years has had a significant
negative impact on X10 signal levels in most installations.  The XTB was
designed to combat that problem, and restore reliability to the average X10
installation.

The XTB amplifies the signal received on its X10 input receptacle on a
cycle-by-cycle basis.  There is no delay or re-broadcast.  It is just a
high-energy version of what is received.  The simple plug-in unit obviously
drives just one phase.  But the XTB-II will help those who are willing to
relocate their main X10 line interface adjacent to their electrical
distribution panel.

XTB-II status:

Routing has been completed.  The board is 4 1/4 x 3 1/2.  Including the
future TW523 emulation, it will have twice as many components as the plug-in
XTB.  Prototype boards will be ordered after additional checking.

Jeff