Re: roZetta Status

Frank,

I'll try to put together a feature list PDF and send it to Jeff in the next
few days. I'm really busy right now trying to finalize details, coding, etc,

Here's a brief overview.

roZetta firmware is written in ZBasic and uses the ZX-40 from Elba, Corp. It
is designed to maximize flexibility and I've labored to avoid features which
only work with certain devices/controllers. The board can also be used as a
general purpose ZX-40 or ZX-40A development board or with other projects
that use these chips.

There is one main highspeed RS232 level serial port (S0) which interfaces
with the ZX-40's hardware UART. There is an optional ethernet module which
also requires the ZX-40 hardware UART so there are jumpers to select S0 or
the EM202 ethernet port. So far, the author of ZBasic has refused requests
to modify his download procedure so it can work over the network so you will
need S0 active to update the ZX-40 firmware (roughly analogous to an OS) or
the roZetta firmware. The Tibbo EM202 ethernet module is also programmable
in Tibbo's dialect of Basic although, initially, I'm just using it as a
serial device server with a virtual serial port. Any external device server
can do the same.

There are two TTL ports which are intended for use with a TW523 (or
equivalent) and/or controllers (e.g. ADI, JDS, HomeVision, etc.) that expect
to see a TW523 or equivalent. Additional hardware is required to interface
with the TW523 as the ZX-40's interrupts are sluggish about 3% of the time.
A 555 Timer chip stretches the data pulse to allow the lazy ZX-40 interrupt
to catch it. Jeff Stein at JDS reacted in horror (well not really) when I
suggested using a 12VAC transformer to supply ZC so optos are required
between any of the controllers and the TTL port. I've designed circuits for
both that are easily built on a general purpose board I've designed. I'll
create PDFs with all the details for those who prefer home-grown. I'll be
sending a board to John M. Jones who I hope will test it with HomeVision
when he gets time - I think he's still rebuilding his tornado damaged house.
If there are problems with any controllers, I have a preliminary design for
a PIC based serial interface to the controllers which gets away from the
ZX-40 lazy interrupt issues but at the cost of using one of roZetta's serial
ports. I'm not 100% confident that X-10 output via the TW523 will be 100%
reliable but the fact that all commands are sent twice may compensate for
the lazy interrupts. For reliable X-10, use a CM11 or 2414S.

There are 3 full duplex RS232 level serial ports which use interrupt driven
software UARTs that operate in the background. The software UARTs are
limited to 9600 BPS maximum. Another software UART can be used for RS485 or
as a 0-5V RS232 port. There's a jumper to select which. The serial ports can
be used with MR26, CM11, 2414S, UPB PIM, ASCII devices, and players to be
named later. I plan some PIC based RF receiver modules that will use RS485.

There are 8 ZX-40 pins which can be used for 10-bit ADC, digital inputs
(with optional internal pullups) or digital outputs.

There are sockets for an RF receiver module (e.g. RWS434) which are
available worldwide in several frequencies. There is a socket for a wideband
IR receiver module (33-57kHz). The RF and IR are mutually exclusive. Neither
can be used if the TTL ports are used.

There is a 32K SPI EEPROM which is shared by the roZetta firmware and user
data. I'm not yet sure how much will be available for user data so the final
feature list is incomplete. ST and Catalyst make 64K SPI EEPROMs but they
are not yet readily available. ST dealers want a $6K minimum order which is
a little beyond a DIY project like this. If they become available in small
quantities, I'll use them and possibly add features.

roZetta "understands" the X-10 PLC and RF protocols as well as the
communications protocols of various supported devices. roZetta also
"understands" the UPB and Insteon protocols and will be able to translate
between the various supported protocols (not as easy as it sounds). I'll put
the exact details in the PDF I'll send to Jeff.

Users can schedule events by time of day, etc. or react to incoming codes on
any of the ports. There will be a built-in astronomical clock (may be
sacrificed if memory gets tight).

Elba just introduced a ZX-40A variant which has more internal RAM and
Interrupts on any pin change. I have no current plans to rewrite my firmware
for it as I suspect the interrupts will still be too lazy to deserve the
name interrupt.

When I started this, the author of ZBasic said he planned to add X-10
operation in the background. He later reneged on that, leaving me to
scramble to find ways to adapt. Should he eventually do that, the board is
designed to take advantage although the external opto module will still be
required between roZetta and any controllers.

WARNING:
Installing the EM202 is not for the inexperienced or faint of heart. The
0.025" pins are on 0.050" centers and are a near-interference fit. No
misalignment can be tolerated. Soldering the closely spaced pins requires a
small tip, low-wattage iron and small diameter solder. Anyone who thinks it
beyond their skill level should just opt for an external device server (I
hear they are cheap on EBay). The advantage of the EM202 is that it's
customizable so can support email, web server, etc. but I'm in my upper 60s,
have been totally disabled for about 20 years, have serious heart trouble,
have rising PSA levels, find the VA (who provide my medical care and meds)
trying to "disappear" me, expect to lose my lease in a few months and may
never customize it. (Anyone who wants, can do so however.)

Jeff Volp's XTB-II design can replace the TW523 and will be able to
compensate for the ZX-40's lazy interrupts.

Finally, AFAIK, neither Insteon nor UPB are yet available outside North
America and Clipsal protects their RS485 protocol so I'm not sure how
applicable roZetta will be down under.