Re: What would you do differently if you were to automate a new home from scratch?

> So far, I like Crestron and AMX, but I am somewhat hesitant because of
> their lack of integration to Windows Media Center Edition.

This is not accurate.  The Windows Media Server does have an external
control protocol.  (so does Apple's iPod for that matter.)  There are
several flavors of media servers (both hardware and software) out
there.  Most all of them have some form of external control protocol.
They almost all allow an external control of the playback transports,
media selection and return feedback of their current playback state as
well as Meta data for the media stored on the server.

EX:  The Fifth Element, Runtime 1:24, Release Date 1998,  etc....

It's a matter of programming.  That's the thing about AMX or Crestron:
you're going to need to get them programmed.  These systems are not
programmed like a universal remote.  they are programmed in a similar
manner as a computer.

Some other meida servers to look at are things that use the XIVA
server.  Things like Elan's ViaDJ! use the XIVA.

AMX makes a pretty big system call the MAX.  It's a computer based
server system that can handle multiple HD streams (up to 8
simultaneously) with digital audio.  It has tons of storage (up to
several terabytes) that are stored in a type-5 disc array.

It is a beefy computer with a Linux OS.  The MAX MMS-900 can hold about
900 DVD's and/or 22,500 Audio CDs.

Anyway, hope that helps.
ejm