Re: What would you do differently if you were to automate a new home from scratch?

I would run tons of wire to every room first, then conduit.

For software, I love my CQC, definitely CQC. Check out the sig below for
what i'm doing with it. HVAC, irrigation, security, CD, XM, DVD, TV &
CCTV(via a web browser), doorbell, also controllable via Cingular PDA for
when i'm not home. I'll probably get RadioRA for lighting with the bonus
early next year.

I got a few Fujitsu 3400 10" touchscreen tablet PCs for cheap control
throughout the house.

I can get a single program to do the front-end interface and the back-end
control. No way can HomeSeer even come close to touching that.

Note: I am a mere end-user with no financial stake in any products that I
may discuss.

My Personal Website w/my Home Automation PC:
http://www.myhomeautomationpc.com, last updated 4/11

My Home Automation Blog: http://homeautomation.wordpress.com/