Re: X-10 RF troubleshooting

You could do this inexpensively by using an 8-pin PIC with ADC (e.g.
PIC12F675) and the RF receiver listed in the BX24-AHT Bill Of Materials (on
Jeff Volp's site). Pin 2 of the receiver gives a linear output which you can
measure with one of the ADC inputs. Measure the amplitude difference between
a pulse and space. You could use an LED indicator and vary the brightness as
a function of signal strength using PWM. You can probably get by with an
inefficient monopole wire antenna and can power it with batteries. Just
remove the batteries when it's not in use as the constant RF noise will
drain them. Cost is about $10-15 exclusive of shipping and paying someone to
do the soldering.

[snip]