Re: Cat5 wiring shared for network & phone?

guitarbot@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
> I paid an electrician to wire cat 5 to 5 rooms in my new house.  He was
> told that they were for My computers & they would all go to 1 room with
> a hub.  He wired it, but didn't run phone lines to some rooms.  He
> isn't coming back (it's a long story).  Can I use 1 cat 5 cable for the
> computer network & a phone line?  ie: Are any pairs on a cat 5 cable
> not used?
> Thanks,

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it.  If he's "not coming back", you
should take some time to check his work before they put the drywall up.
  CAT 5 requires special handling to maintain peak performance.  It
might be worth your while to get a data/communication or an alarm
company out to run your phone lines and ensure the CAT 5 runs meet spec.
  In the latter instance they'll pre-wire your house for an alarm system
too.

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com