Re: Inject text alerts into a CATV system

Jim Baber <jim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Jim answered Dave:
>My wife and I decided in 1981 to take some real estate profits and flee
>the LA area with our young family.  We both were working for our own
>computer consulting firm and thought we could do OK outside of the smog
>and we knew the kids would.

Ahh, yes. California Real Estate was bubbling back then. I knew someone who
retired to Tahoe on his real estate profits at the ripe old age of 30. I
left in late 1979 after commuting to Chicago for a couple of months.

That would have been back in CPM and very early DOS days.

>We moved to a mountain home about 55 miles east of Fresno that you could
>actually locate by drawing a straight line on a forest service map
>between Yosemite and Sequoia National park headquarters and then
>dividing that line into two equal pieces.  We lived on the mountain
>until we found that the kids education was suffering in the very small
>schools available.

OK. That makes a lot more sense than a direct move to Fresno.

>Now that the kids are gone, well sortof, we can't go back up on the
>mountain because of my COPD.  All that LA smog and my smoking caught up
>with me.  My wife is still working as a teacher (Computer Info Systems)
>at Fresno City College and does not plan to retire for at least another
>5 years.

I was right on the beach in Long Beach (#1 Third Place). In those days, it
was about the only area that was free of smog because the prevailing winds
were from offshore except for the Santa Ana in the fall. I was out of town
75% of the time covering everything west of the Mississippi and only
spending about every 4th or 5th week working with my LA distributor's sales
people. The last time I was in Fresno was about 1983.