Re: Frustration with X10 Powermid

What part of "you need to keep the transmitter away from
fluorescents and direct sunlight" confused you? Your own statement,
"In the interior the LED was dark, but at points near the exterior or near
windows it glowed." should tell you something.

The Powermid system has two components, one receives IR (with carrier
modulation in the 38kHz ±5kHz range) and retransmits it as 418MHz RF. The
other receives 418MHz and retransmits it as IR (with a carrier in the
38-40kHz range). Both work in real time with no delays other than the
response times of their receivers and transmitters.

The one without the antenna is the IR-in/RF-out (transmitter) and the other
is the RF-in/IR-out (receiver). The receiver has an antenna for receiving
RF.

If the transmitter unit was sensitive to 418MHz RF, it would interfere with
itself so it is unlikely that your problems stem from RF in the 418MHz band.
It is even less likely to be RF interference from the highly used bands
above 430MHz.

When the transmitter LED is glowing, the unit is either receiving IR or EMI
(electro magnetic interference) in the 38kHz ±5kHz range or sunlight (which
has a lot of IR). You can verify this by taking the transmitter unit to a
darkened room, pointing an IR remote at it and pressing a button on the
remote. The LED will flicker on and off as the unit receives the IR. If you
have any RF remotes that use 418MHz, you can also verify that the LED (on
the transmitter) does not flicker when you press a button on the RF remote
but that the one on the receiver (with the antenna) does.

Aside from sensitivity to sunlight and EMI the Powermids work well. Aside
from sensitivity to sunlight and EMI most other remote extenders work almost
as well - many of them are merely Powermids in cognito which you can verify
by checking the FCC ID number (B4SST539) on the unit with the RF
transmitter.

While it's not an 802.11B device, the Global Caché GC-100 can be controlled
from a laptop/PDA if you have a way of going from 802.11B to 802.3 like a
wireless router or WAP.