Re: Frustration with X10 Powermid

km@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>First of all my recent tests were ONLY with the Powermid transmitter
>plugged in. The transmitter is the one with the antenna that receives
>RF and outputs IR. As far as I know there is no IR receiver in this
>unit.

NO, it is not. That is the receiver. See...

     http://www.x10.com/products/x10_pm5900.htm

<quote>
The transmitter receives the infrared (IR) signals from your remote control
and converts them into a radio frequency signal. This signal penetrates
walls and is picked up by the Receiver. The receiver then converts the
signal back into an IR signal and sends the command to the equipment being
controlled.
</quote>

Given that they invented the Powermid I would suggest following their
description of which is transmitter and which is receiver instead of
creating your own mistaken terminology.

>I assume the glow on the LED in this unit reflects how much RF it has
>detected and how much IR it is transmitting.

The LED in the unit with the antenna lights (the receiver) when the unit
_RECEIVES_ 418MHz RF.

>All my tests were done at night, no sunlight inside or outside. All
>outside tests over a several mile range showed a brightly pulsating
>LED, as did all locations in my apartment. This included tests in my
>apartment with all power cut off at the fusebox, and only the one
>powermid transmitter plugged into the UPS.
>
>The tests in the office building were also at night. The building has
>all fluorescents. No glow in the interior of the building despite the
>fluorescents. Pulsating glow near the windows and entrances.

RF would not be present only near windows and entrances.

What you describe has near zero probability. Either you live in a parallel
universe where the laws of physics do not apply or your Powermid RECEIVER is
defective.

>As far as using a wired repeater, that would be awkward. I have
>receivers in 4 different rooms. Just so that there is no confusion, my
>tests were done with none of the receivers plugged in.

This totally contradicts everything else you've said.

>I would like to try the URC-9910. Can anyone suggest a good place to
>buy one, where I can return it if it has the same issue? None of the
>big box stores seem to carry it, and froogle seems to only turn up
>noname sites with no stock.

If your region of the country is truly flooded with continuous 418MHz RF,
then you will likely have the same problem with almost _any_ other RF
extender. Nearly all of those sold in North America use 418MHz although the
URC-9910 does use 430MHz and there are a few that use 433.92MHz.

Given that you have multiple Powermid transmitters it would make more sense
to try another receiver - whether another Powermid or another brand (e.g.
Terk LF-IRX) that also uses 418MHz. Otherwise you will need multiple
URC-9910s.