Re: Video/elk/internet

> I am trying to determine the components needed to be able
> to connect to an ELK M1 system remotely and view surveillance
> cameras on the property. The ELK connection to the INTERNET
> is clear, but how the video cameras are interfaced is not.  I
> have found a number of stand alone IP-cameras, but that's not
> what I am looking for.

ELK does not currently support a direct link to video cameras.  You can of
course view IP cameras over your LAN and/or over the Internet as you mentioned.
ELK says that there is some intent to build a video support device in the future
but it is not scheduled nor is development under way as of yet.

There are ways to interface the ELK system to video in a certain manner though.
You could use an IP enabled DVR or HDVR to record and transmit video over the
web.  If you select a recorder that can do video motion detection (many can) you
can connect the DVR's alarm output to one of the ELK inputs, triggering lights,
alarms (not necessarily an outside siren unless you really dislike your
neighbors:)), etc.  The ELK system can be made to send you an email message when
motion is detected by the camera system or by any other sensors you connect to
the ELK's input zones.

If you have lots of money to spend, you can buy a programmable PTZ
(pan-tilt-zoom) camera and use the ELK's numerous outputs to point the camera at
the suspect area whenever motion or door / window movement is detected.

> What's the "Missing Link".

Tiktaalik roseae apparently, according to everyone except Pat Robertson.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.