Re: Wires Through Walls

> I'd like to put a media server in my bedroom closet.
> The problem is that there is no power, cable, or
> ethernet in the closet.  I could run wires along the
> baseboard, but that is ugly.

Home Depot and most electrical supply stores sell plastic devices in the shape
of an electrical gang box but without a back.  You cut a hole in the sheetrock,
following the outline of a template that is supplied with the device and slip
the device into the hole.  There are swing-out flanges that lock the "box" to
the sheetrock.

The finished product looks like a single-gang (double- and triple-gang are also
available) outlet with an open back.  You could legally (code-compliant) run low
voltage wires through these devices and simply connect them to your equipment on
either side.

High voltage electrical connections through walls are another matter.  Because
of the risk of shock and fire you should consider installing a proper circuit in
the wall where needed.  This doesn't have to create a mess.  If there's a
basement or attic directly below or above the target area it's usually a simple
matter to add an outlet.  From the attic above you simply locate the top of the
wall (looks like a 2x4 laid flat above the ceiling sheetrock), measure from the
nearest ceiling lamp, light switch or other point of reference and punch a hole
through using a 3/4" spade bit.

Drop a length of Romex into the wall sufficient to reach the new outlet, leaving
enough extra in the attic to connect the end to a convenient source of 110VAC.
Make sure the source has a hot, neutral and ground and that it isn't controlled
by a switch somewhere.  The rest should be obvious.  If you're unfamiliar with
basic electrical safety, find a knowledgeable friend or pay a pro to make the
connections for you.  It shouldn't cost much and it beats having an
"electrifying experience".  :^)

Running new wires up from an unfinished basement isn't usually difficult either.
Cut a hole in the wall where the outlet will go, if the home is recent
construction reach in with a 3/4" paddle bit connected to a 14" bit extension
and drill down into the basement.  Push the wire up and have your SO pull it out
of the hole in the wall.

On numerous occasions I've needed to run new wires from the basement to an attic
two or more floors above.  Sometimes you luck out and there are closets one
above the other.  It's relatively easy to run conduit along the inside of the
closet, off to one side of the door.  Other times you need to get creative with
an electrician's snake.

I've posted numerous articles over the years in this and another newsgroup on
the subject of running cables for alarms, entertainment systems, etc.  A
groups.Google.com search will unearth a few threads which you may find helpful.
If you want to share specifics on the layout of your home, especially the area
where the project will be done, I'd be happy to give you some suggestions.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.