Re: Low voltage wiring - NEC question

<Martin> wrote in message news:n0hjh15qm49gp0mmf9vgmiokc2i236o0el@xxxxxxxxxx
> I'm planning to install some outdoor low voltage landscape lighting
> using a transformer UL rated as indoor/outdoor mounted in the garage.
>
> According to what I've been able to find wrt NEC, if the wiring is run
> *through* a wall it must be enclosed in conduit. However, if it is run
> along a wall, is there any need to enclose it or do anything special?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

As you are dealing with low voltage wire that is (hopefully) suitable for
direct burial.

I don't even think NEC rules apply. much more than "portable appliance
cords" for the 120v wire between the outlet and the transformer.
As that is all inside, it's not even an issue.

But just simple logic that any wire going through a block or concrete wall
should be able to be removed easily and should not be cemented in tight.
Putting it in a conduit in new construction allows it to be removed to be
checked or replaced if need be.
Just drilling a hole and plugging it with a bit of insulation would work
fine.

But if I were you I'd run it in a bit of conduit outside the garage at least
if the wire is not in the ground right away to prevent damage from
lawnmowers or weed-whackers

Also it's a good idea to keep any wires in a conduit where they are likely
to be subjected to damage or even pulling by little children.

Inside a garage is a very dangerous area for exposed wires, lots of things
move, can bump into walls, and have sharp edges.

AMUN