Re: Good X10-compatible RF remotes?

news:433bd2e7.62267096@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The limit of 16 addresses is more a function of the RF to PLC converters
> (X-10 calls them transceivers) which are limited to a single housecode.
> Leviton makes one (HCPRF) which handles all 16 housecodes (i.e. all 256
> addresses). The remotes themselves are all capable of sending to all 256
> addresses but the methods for switching between the 16 housecodes is less
> than straightforward.
>
>     http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/decora/DHCRemoteTransceiverNPB.pdf
>     http://smarthome.com/manuals/4016N.pdf  (see p14 for changing HC)
>
> X-10's Palmpad (HR12A) only does X-10 and has a codewheel for the
> housecode.
>

>     http://www.x10.com/products/x10_hr12a.htm
>
> "CeeDub" <craigmw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>My trusty 6-in-1 remote that came with my original ActiveHome kit (my
>>first
>>foray into HA) seems to have stopped functioning. I really miss the
>>ability
>>to control various lighting in our home via this remote. At this point, I
>>could pick up another one. But, I'd like to install more X-10 compatable
>>dimmers in the house and would likely have more than 16 addresses. Thus,
>>the
>>6-in-1 would not be so handy. Can anyone suggest a decent solution? I just
>>want to control X10, though if the unit supported other functions, that
>>would be great too.
>>Craig

Dave:

Thanks for the input on this. I currently have the X10 version of that
remote; they look identical, except for the logo. I don't know if it's the
transmitter that is failing or the transceiver. But, I'm betting it's
probably the latter. I was checking the SmartHome website. It seems they
sell a transceiver that will accept all 256 addresses without having to set
a house code. So, even though it's considerably more expensive that the
Leviton/ActiveHome setup, it might be worth it. But, I'd still like to get a
nicer remote that didn't require reprogramming to set a different housecode.

Craig