Re: Test for Surge Protector?

There are good discussions of comprehensive grounding on the web. Some deal
with how to ground a steel radio tower on a mountain top which would likely be
good enough for a house built on flat land with a shallow water table ;-) (Eg
Google ground radio tower). (Yes, soil moisture increases electrical
conductivity and therefore improves ground-rod performance. The water table
is, by definition, the upper surface of the earth below which the effective
porosity (interconnected pores) are 100% filled with water.)

Another major issue is conduction through communication lines including cable,
ethernet  and telephone. Part of my approach to coping with multiple
lightning-induced failures in our house has been to isolate the communication
lines from the HA computer and server. These computers  are located on a 19"
rack with rubber wheels, powered by 'isolated' 28vdc, and connected to the
rest of the world through fiber optic 1000/SC cable.

EBay typically has affordable fiber optic ethernet transceivers. You need a
pair of transceivers (or a transceiver and a hub/switch) and a length of
terminated fiber optic cable.

search www.ebay.com in "Computers & Networking" for "fiber sc"

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=
C12&from=R10&satitle=fiber+sc&sacat=58058%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fts=2&sargn
=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=41011&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=
&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

( I have four like-new/in box 100BT/SC transceivers that I'd like to dispose
of -cheep! ).

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECCOntrol.org