Re: Looking at Zwave products and need recommendations?

The problem with reverse engineering the communications protocol will come
when you get blindsided by any changes they make to the protocol.

I think you will find ZigBee based devices will come with a myriad of
communications protocols so your experience at reverse engineering Z-Wave
may or may not be a plus.

PCS has published the UPB protocol. Insteon makes their SDK available at a
very reasonable cost (although with ridiculous license terms).