Re: Low voltage wiring - NEC question

"Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7cklh1le6k5t7bnbu8o9ah6b133lauhrqc@xxxxxxxxxx
>> NEC doesn't apply for low voltage...
>
> That's not correct, friend.  NEC applies to all current carrying
> conductors installed in a building.  There are different
> requirements for low voltage systems but NEC definitely covers
> them.
>
> Whether NEC applies in your specific community is a matter of
> state code.  How it is applied and interpreted is subject to the
> discretion of the "authority having jurisdiction" -- fire
> marshal, building inspector, etc.

BINGO!  I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention that NEC
IS NOT THE FINAL ANSWER.

State codes will generally say that they are based on the NEC ... EXCEPT ...
and then go on to list things that loosen some items and add additional
restraints in other areas.

Then city and county codes will do the same thing.

The final answer is you need to read all the codes or ask your inspector (or
a good local electrician).

- - - -

I have had very good luck asking inspectors for help.  I wired my parent's
basement back in 71 or 72.  First thing I did was go down to city hall (city
of 36,000) and ask the head inspector how to learn what to do.  His new code
book had just arrived that day so he handed me his old one.  I read most of
it.  (I used to like reading encyclopedias as a kid, and read a lot of
software manuals when PCs first came out).

He said that I could come back with any questions, I didn't need to.

About 10 years ago, the county decided that my brother's neighborhood needed
to get rid of septic systems and connect to the city sewer system (same city
as above).  A licensed plumber had to be in charge of the actual sewer run
to the house and filling in the septic tank (top broken up and I think rock
or sand to fill the tank).  My brother decided to redo some 1950s drains
that had been problems and hook up inside the house.  He called the county
inspector who said we could come over and chat.  We did.  Great guy.  He
told us about the major gotchas and even offered to come over, watch, and
teach us, as we did the work.  (as he put it, he could do anything except
touch a pipe.   Even in his own home he had to hire a plumber to do the work
we were doing.)
We didn't take him up on the offer but he complimented the work as being one
of the best he saw out of that project.  He had tagged a lot of houses,
including those done by the "suggested" plumber, for improperly hooking up
sump pumps to the system and other problems.

More recently I have asked the local building inspector (suburb of 60,000)
for clarification on details for a deck.  There were questions because the
original deck is cantilevered from the house.  He carefully explained the
rules for cantilevered decks and the easiest way to expand the decks.  Then
told me I would have to sketch up the deck (he gave me the city guidelines)
in order to get the permit.

3 friendly and helpful inspectors out of three tries.

--
Bill Fuhrmann
Remove DELETE to reply