Re: Which new controller should I choose? Ocelot or LynX10 possibly?

On 22 Sep 2005 13:26:35 -0700, "monahmat@xxxxxxxxx" <monahmat@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <1127420795.179544.88730@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I am wondering what everyones opinions are for HA controllers.  I
>recently purchased a new home and would like to invest in a better
>controller.  I am considering the Ocelot and the LynX10 PLC.  I am
>looking to spend between 100 and 200 dollars.  Good software is also
>important, so if anyone has any suggestions there they would also be
>appreciated.
>
>I began with x10 and the CM11A controller.  I have lots of X10 modules
>that if possible I would like to continue to use for cost saving
>purposes.  I was very unimpressed with the PC interaction with the
>CM11A and pretty much limited myself to using a remote and very simple
>Macros.  I know plan on developing a much more detailed system to
>include lighting, HVAC, video surveilance, house wide audio, and home
>theater components.  If anyone has any suggestions to help me on my
>endeavor they would be greatly appreciated.  All of your previous post
>have been very helpful thus far.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Matt

("Here ya go again"   -- Not you Matt ;-)

2005 median price of a new home in US is ~225,000.

So a HA budget of $100-$200 is ... too skimpy? ... if the system is to be
made useful and not just a HomeToy for the man of the house.

Predictably, advice was given that steered you (Matt) to a controller that is
the sentimental favorite of some in this newsgroup. But the price of the
first little gizmo/controller is _not_ what the home automation system is
going to cost you either in time invested in program or the purchase price.

You might take a moment to compare the price and capabilities of the ELK M1
Gold

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1_Installation&Programming_Manual.pdf

with the Adicon Ocelot.

The Elk has many advantages over the Ocelot. The ocelot has the advantage of
supporting IR.

Using www.Worthdist.com prices (lowest I found) :

Ocelot 			$150
16 input module		  80
16 output module	  80
                         -----
                        $310

$398 is a good price for the ELK M! Gold at
http://homesecurityandautomation.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ELK-M1GOLD

Both need a PSC05/TW-523 (not the CM11a you have) for X-10.

Both will need batteries and other associated gizmos but the Elk will need
fewer because many like the phone interface and battery/power
controller/voice etc are built in or are available in low-cost bundles.

By the time you add power supply, modem, voice, proper enclosure, smoke
detector support, keypad, to the Ocelot, and PROGRAM the Ocelot to what the
32-bit processor in the ELK M! Gold (not two 8-bit as in Ocelot) comes
pre-programmed to do,  you will have spent more time, more money and have a
less capable,  much less conventional/harder to have serviced, (IMO)
intrinsically 'less valuable' pile of interconnected little boxes (compared
to the expandable, one-box ELK M1 Gold).

Be sure to compare the time and expertise you will need to program these
devices to do what you need to do and the consequences of inevitable more
frequent bugs and failures in complex programs you may write yourself. These
are all components of the costs (or fun depending on your perspective.

Be sure to look what PC-based home automation software ( Hal, Homeseer, CQS,
Premise, etc) support these controllers. And _how_ they are supported. For
example Premise Systems 'supports' the Ocelot only as a dumb peripheral, that
is to say, the vaunted stand-alone programming capabilities are not
supported.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org