Re: Automatic Wheelchair Turntable

news:433c1a1f.80501996@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I think your biggest problem will be to devise a thin turntable with a
> bearing that can handle the weight. A zillion (± a few slew) marbles
> sandwiched between two flat metal surfaces might work.

There are clearly going to be some severe engineering challenges with the
turntable method.

> For the drive,
> bicycle chain (industrial chain comes in a multitude of sizes) fastened to
> 1/2 the circumference should be simple to work with.

Oddly enough, there's already plenty of bicycle chain in the van.  Both the
power sliding door and the ramp extender depend on it.  I've decided I have
to build a shroud because too much chain was exposed.  It's just waiting to
pull Isadora Duncan and her scarf down into its mechanical gizzards.

> How is the chair secured when the van is in motion?

Well, right now, the scooter is secured by its electromechanical interlock
which, I assume, it some sort of pin that drops when power is removed.  It's
nearly impossible to push in that condition.  (Yes, I know, in an accident
that's likely to come flying forward and crush and kill either the driver
and passenger!)

The plan, however, is to move the "EZ Lock" system that mates a special pin
on the scooter to one in a solenoid device bolted to the floor.  The
previous owner had tie downs installed on the wheelchair bay's floor, but
that's because it was a manual chair that was occupied during travel.
Dad's scooter sits empty in the back.   The lack of a way to secure the
scooter satisfactorily on a turntable may be the kiss of death for the
turntable idea.  Too bad.  It seemed like the right way to go until the idea
was exposed for public comment!  (-:

--
Bobby G.