Re: Test for Surge Protector?

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:03:26 -0400, "Rich Gosselin" <rich (a*tt) gossel (dut)
org> wrote in message  <v7CdnfdvX-8EDoDeRVn-pg@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I've got a collection of surge protector around, and I want to find a valid
>and somewhat simple method of testing that they are still providing some
>protection, without trashing them in a destructive test.
>
>I've searched the net for some kind of reference to help with this, and
>found only proprietary information of specific brands, usually at the
>manufacturers site on capacity, waveform, etc...test results for that
>product, but little info on how the test was actually done.
>
>1.) I'd assume with MOV based devices (most of the consumer devices) I'd be
>able to "see" a blown MOV, but I'm not sure. Is there a simple electrical
>test?
>
>2.) Some of the better devices, like Brick Wall and others...that advertise
>"never fail", well, do we take them at their word, or is there some way to
>see if they are still ok after some years of hits. Really, at $200 ~ $1,000
>+ per item...they should last forever...
>
>Not many folks seem to be into surge protection / UPS / line filtering, but
>I'm developing an interest for both business & personal reasons...and I'm
>looking here to learn a bit more about them...
>
>Any views? Comments? Good URL's to get info from?

A first good step would be to research the importance of the earth ground in
'surge protection' and assess the extent to which the surge protectors you
have actually meet those needs.

Without suffering a direct lightning strike, and despite the usual array of
"surge protectors", the electronic equipment in house (AV, security,
telephone, computer, GFI's etc) has had major damage from 'surges'. My
partial solution has been to improve the house's earth ground and to provide
for electrical disconnect during storms. We like in the center of th NA
continent in a region that is typical with respect to lightning strikes.

Google all groups (including comp.home.automation) for " W_Tom ",  and
comp.home.automation for "earth ground" and  "lightning".

You may conclude that the surge protectors you have been depending are less
useful than you thought even when new.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org