Re: Low voltage wiring - NEC question

> NEC doesn't apply for low voltage...

That's not correct, friend.  NEC applies to all current carrying
conductors installed in a building.  There are different
requirements for low voltage systems but NEC definitely covers
them.

Whether NEC applies in your specific community is a matter of
state code.  How it is applied and interpreted is subject to the
discretion of the "authority having jurisdiction" -- fire
marshal, building inspector, etc.

I have the currently used NEC in PDF form on my PC back in the
USA.  Unfortunately, I didn't bring a copy with me to Brazil so I
can't quote paragraphs applicable to your situation.  Your local
building inspector can and usually will help if you contact him
in advance and tell him what you want to do.

> Its like the cable and phone companies - they drill
> through any walls and install it anyway it suits them.
> No conduits. To verify NEC doesn't apply call your
> local city inspector Monday.

Actually, CATV and telco work is also subject to code.  The
workers don't require a license in most states but the
workmanship is covered by NEC.  Clearly, they don't always follow
the code but they are supposed to do so.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms