Re: Low voltage wiring - NEC question

> Our Township code says I need a permit for any job
> costing $200 or more.  If I buy a new panel (including
> a bunch of breakers) for $150 and reuse most of the
> existing breakers in the new panel (thus staying under
> the $200), where is the requirement for a permit?

If you stay under the limit you may well be OK.  However, you
might also want to inquire about any *special* rules concerning
panel upgrades.  Many locations insist on a permit / inspection
for service entrance upgrades due to the hazards involved.

Some towns and even some electric service providers insist that a
licensed electrician complete a service upgrade.  I worked on my
own plumbing, electrical and other systems for many years but I
don't recommend that others do a service upgrade without at least
consulting an experienced tradesman.

> (The main breakers are in the garage back-to-back with
> the meter, so I can easily kill the power to the panel I'm
> replacing.)

Note that in most (though not all) cases removing the meter head
from the pan kills the power to the panel.  I have seen a few
cases where this was not so though.  Most were illegal
connections where some doofus decided to cheat the electric
company out of a few dollars a month.  Fortunately, most of the
DIYers I know are a lot smarter than that.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms