Re: Looking at Zwave products and need recommendations?

> No one has said that only HS supports it. There was someone else who was
> supporting it in a freeware app but the name escapes me at the moment.
>
> Do you think they made it easier for HS?

If you mean were they more cooperative with HS, the answer is probably yes.
HS, as I understand it, paid the price for the toolkit stuff, which probably
got them a little more love. We just couldn't justify paying all that money
for what could essentially have been written down in ~10 pages of high level
info plus about 3 smallish documents of spec details that already existed,
i.e. the information that someone wanting to interface to ZW, as apposed to
build ZW hardware, would need. So effectively we had to figure it out
ourselves, but we did in the end.

I've made my dismay about their lack of support for folks like us known to
them in fairly strong terms, assuming what I think really matters. I would
just think that, had they taken the opposite approach with automation system
vendors (as apposed to hardware OEMs) and really helped us to get quality
support for their product in place, and gave us the docs we need instead of
making us pay for the right, that right now UPB and Zigbee would be looking
at a much more entrenched status quo, because Z-Wave would be robustly
supported in every automation product, and more people would have adopted it
because it was there and supported and in a good position between high end
stuff and X-10.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com