Re: Insteon compatibility

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:50:44 GMT, Dave Houston wrote:
> Neil,
>
> I saw much higher Insteon signal levels with my ESM1 which probably
> indicates that you have more signal suckers than do I. Aside from PLC
> transmitters I only have one major signal sucker and it's behind a filter.
>
> The fact that you get workable Insteon signal levels speaks well for their
> repeater philosophy.

This is very true, my X10 phase bridge is not amplified. So

> It would be interesting to know the ESM1 X-10 signal strength in your
> computer room and garage.

       ESM1

+-----------------------------------+
| O [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] O |
|    !       !        !        !    |
|    .1v     1v       2.5v     5v   |
+-----------------------------------+

Command sent M1MON (sent one at a time not repeated as rapidly as
possible).

Insteon PLC (sending Insteon)

What I see in both the garage (GA) and the computer room (CR) is a
similar spike pattern on the ESM1. At first it seems to pulse between
1v & 1 bar less. Then towards the finish of the command it moves to 1v
to plus 1 bar (see artwork above).

Insteon PLC (sending X10)

CR = 1v (exact)
GA = .1v

CM11A

CR = 1 bar less than 2.5v
GA = 0 (not seen)

TW523 (Ocelot)

CR = 1 bar less than 2.5v
GA = 0 (not seen)

CM15A

CR = 1 bar less than 2.5v
GA = .1v

> FWIW, my ESM1 shows a peak response at about 131kHz which is closer to the
> Insteon carrier than to the X-10 carrier.

Cool! Wish I could get a new chip to support both X10 and Insteon.
It's probably doable but I'm a little tight on time. I have a feeling
that many of the fundamentals of X10 PLC will work and x10 problems
will fail in a similar way with Insteon.

Yeah, yeah, I know so why am I posting here, it's a bit of a
distraction. :-)

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)