Test for Surge Protector?

I've got a collection of surge protector around, and I want to find a valid
and somewhat simple method of testing that they are still providing some
protection, without trashing them in a destructive test.

I've searched the net for some kind of reference to help with this, and
found only proprietary information of specific brands, usually at the
manufacturers site on capacity, waveform, etc...test results for that
product, but little info on how the test was actually done.

1.) I'd assume with MOV based devices (most of the consumer devices) I'd be
able to "see" a blown MOV, but I'm not sure. Is there a simple electrical
test?

2.) Some of the better devices, like Brick Wall and others...that advertise
"never fail", well, do we take them at their word, or is there some way to
see if they are still ok after some years of hits. Really, at $200 ~ $1,000
+ per item...they should last forever...

Not many folks seem to be into surge protection / UPS / line filtering, but
I'm developing an interest for both business & personal reasons...and I'm
looking here to learn a bit more about them...

Any views? Comments? Good URL's to get info from?

Rich