Re: Looking at Zwave products and need recommendations?

"E. Lee Dickinson" <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Dave: You started this with "If you weren't technically incompetent and
>illiterate."  As someone mentioned, that's ad hominim at its best.

I'm sorry you feel that way so I'll try to persuade you to another view.

Over the past 15-20 years the latin term "ad hominem" has been used by a
certain segment of the population to attack those with whom they disagree
(as it has been used here).

Unfortunately, those who fling it at others have never looked up its
definition. Since your spelling of the term was incorrect, I'll provide a
URL to the definition at dictionary.com.

     http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ad%20hominem

I always present a logical argument based on technical facts and data. In
this case, I made the point that the frequencies used for HomePlug are far
higher than those used by the various PLC methods so there is no reason to
expect interference with X-10, Insteon, UPB, etc.

Now, I buttressed my argument by also saying Brian is "technically
incompetent". Brian has been posting here for a few months and has
demonstrated time and again that he has zero technical knowledge of the
devices he's trying to sell. I provided a link to the HomePlug organization
with references to a whitepaper that gives details on the frequencies they
use for in house BPL. I could have also included a link to the FCC Part 15
documentation which also lists the frequencies they allow for BPL. If Brian
were to spend the several hours required to read through all of the HomePlug
docs and the several days needed to read and digest the Part 15 rules, I
suspect he would still not understand the issue because he has demonstrated
that he lacks the technical training to comprehend it.

I also used the term "illiterate". If you refer to its definition, you'll
find that two of the three meanings given support my usage.

     http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=illiterate

Those who fling the term "ad hominem" without also providing a logical and
reasonable argument that address the issues are, in truth, guilty of ad
hominem attacks. I am not.

BTW, "ad hominem" is never "at its best".