Re: Upgrade HomeSeer to 2.0 ?

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:42:59 -0700, George Pontis <gpontis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote (with possible editing):

>I have a current copy of HomeSeer and received the promotional offer to upgrade to
>2.0 for $39. I am wondering if my current version of the HAI Omni Plug-in would
>continue to work with the new version. (I sent email to HomeSeer asking this
>question a week ago but no response yet.)
>
>And what is everyone's feeling about having to install the .NET framework to
>support this new version ?
>
>George

I think I'm in exactly the same situation.  FWIW, I did upgrade. (I
wish I hadn't)  I think you should go to the Homeseer forums
(http://board.homeseer.com) and read what others have said - actually
it seems to be quite negative.  The setup I am using - Homeseer 2 with
NEW HAI plugin, seems to mostly work when the machine is running, but
there are errors.  There is a missing file and the machine is reboots
a lot.  Since Homeseer doesn't seem to want to run as a service, a
reboot stops everything.

The new web interface is pretty nice, but until this gets some
stability, I'd stay away.  I have got my HAI OmniPro II doing almost
all of the work now.  The only reason for using HomeSeer was to take
advantage of its interface with the ACT I103 and its more powerful
output.  (I have a few outbuildings).  I don't use the phone and other
stuff, and I find the consoles WAY overpriced.

I don't know if the instability problems are due to the .NET framework
or Homeseer - the latest build is 1972.  If you read the feedback
under the forum message "Build 1972 Feedback", you'll see that more
than a few others are having problems.

FWIW, the machine it's running on uses Windows 2000 Pro...

Email me if you'd like more feedback.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com