Re: Looking at Zwave products and need recommendations?

<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<much grudgematch stuff snipped>

> (Folks wondering whether Dave can serve as an objective reviewer of the
WGL
> "Whole House Transceiver" might note that the WGL device has been
> successfully developed commercially, while Dave's "All Housecode
> Transceiver" device never turned the corner -- more schadenfreude IMO. )

To quote the Princess Bride's Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do
not think it means what you think it means."

Websters:

Main Entry: scha·den·freu·de
Pronunciation: 'shä-d&n-"froi-d&
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: German, from Schaden damage + Freude joy
: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

Someone might experience schadenfreude watching Martha Stewart do federal
time - especially someone guilty of insider trading who didn't get caught.
You might feel it watching the Michael Jackson trial just to see him squirm.
But I don't see how WGL succeeding with their transmitter would elicit
schadenfreude in Dave.  I think the more pedestrian term you're looking for
is "Sour Grapes."

Main Entry: sour grapes
Function: noun plural
Etymology: from the fable ascribed to Aesop of the fox who after finding
himself unable to reach some grapes he had desired disparaged them as sour
: disparagement of something that has proven unattainable

Now that sounds more like what you're accusing Dave of, disparaging
something that he was unable to acheive himself.

BTW, I'm not arguing any of the merits of either set of well-chewed charges
and countercharges - <very big yawn> -  just that AFAIK, schadenfreude has a
very specific meeting.  You could say that others in this thread like Bob B.
are enjoying watching Dave take a turn in the gauntlet, and *that* would be
schadenfreude - for them, but not for Dave.  Recounting all of Dave's
alleged gaffs and failures as you have done would be schadenfreude for *you*
but not for him, unless, of course, he was seriously masochistic and got
pleasure from you getting pleasure from watching him suffer giving you
pleasure.  But that's way too weird to consider.   :-)

I wish there was some process that both you and Dave, each valuable
contributors to CHA, could bury the hatchet anywhere but in each other's
necks.  <sigh>

--
Bobby G.