Re: Test for Surge Protector?

  First, if the protector does not have a dedicated connection
for a 'less than 10 foot' connection to earth ground, then it
was not doing anything.  This is why so many plug-in
protectors are less than 3000 joules.  No sense making the
protector minimally sized when the idea is to have it vaporize
- to promote myth of protection.

  Second, effective protectors don't vaporize.  Only the
grossly undersized fail by blackening.  Effective protectors
degrade after many direct lightning strikes.  One test is to
put a 1 ma current through each MOV and measure the resulting
voltage.  Do you really want to remove each MOV and measure
it?  Probably not.

  Third, two factors that determine ineffective protectors: 1)
no dedicated connection to the building's single point earth
ground, and 2) manufacturer does not discuss the most critical
component in any protection system - earth ground.

  Brickwall, Surgex, and Zerosurge forget to mention the
safety ground wire that bypasses their protector AND that is
required by codes.  These series mode protectors (not to be
confused with shunt mode protectors that use MOVs) are
effective as supplementary protection IF you have first
installed a properly earth 'whole house' protector.  Series
mode protectors are quick to cite no MOVs but forget to
mention that burned out MOVs are directly traceable to the
human who failed to purchase a protector with sufficient
joules.  Effective shunt mode protectors earth direct
lightning strikes are remain effective.

  Additional problems with plug-in protectors is demonstrated
in these pictures:
http://www.westwhitelandfire.com/Articles/Surge%20Protectors.pdf

http://www.nmsu.edu/~safety/programs/gen_saf/surgeprotectorfire.htm
http://www.ddxg.net/old/surge_protectors.htm

http://www.ehs.washington.edu/LabSaf/surge.htm
http://www.cob.org/fire/safety/surge.htm

http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll00/2000-02.htm

http://www.rbs2.com/fire.htm
> The second edition of Underwriters' Laboratories standard 1449,
> which became effective in February 1998, requires that a surge
> suppressor either fail in a safe manner, or survive connection
> to twice the nominal mains voltage for seven hours.

> A particularly horrifying fact is that many commercial surge
> suppressors in the USA put the thermal disconnector and varistor
> in series, so that ? after the disconnector opens ? the
> vulnerable equipment downstream from the suppressor is exposed
> to whatever voltage killed the varistor.

Plug-in protectors that have MOVs removed and still claim they
are OK:
  http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/movs.html

  Upgrade the building's earth ground to meet or exceed post
1990 National Electrical Code requirements AND install an
effective 'whole house' protector from responsible electrical
manufacturers such a Square D, Leviton, Intermatic, Leviton,
Cutler Hammer, Siemens, or GE.  These are even sold in Home
Depot and Lowes - not in Radio Shack, Circuit City, Staples,
Sears, or other sources of ineffective plug-in protectors.
Effective 'whole house' protectors cost less than $200 -
$1000. In fact, effective 'whole house' protection costs about
$1 per protected appliance - compared to how much for a
plug-in protector?

  This your bottom line:  a protector is only as effective as
its earth ground.  Something those plug-in protectors and
Brickwall need you not to learn.