Re: Insteon compatibility

A bit more info on actual Insteon use:

I have an old ELK ESM1 and it can measure the Insteon signal's
strenght (or least I think it can). It doesn't show valid packets
because the ESM1 is made for X10 but I'm seeing pulse of about 1V.
With the SignalLincs I also see a 1V signal in my garage which is the
weakest portion of my house (from an X10 prospective). Here's the
setup:

    [Insteon PLC] [SignalLinc]
Comp. Rm |             |  Phase A         [Breakers]
+--------+-------------+---------------\   +-----+
                  [SignalLinc]          \--| # # |
Study                  |  Phase B          | # # |
+----------------------+-------------------| # # |
      [ESM 1]                              | # # |
Garage   |                Phase B       /--| # # |
+--------+-------------+---------------/   +-----+

First I connected the ESM1 to the same circuit as the PLC. Measures
about 1V (+/- 1 bar at times, visual average is 1v). I then put the
ESM1 on the garage circuit and I see the same signal strength ~1V.

While this is not a scientific test it does bode well for Insteon in
my home. I do have some signal suckers such as TV's and stereo's that
currently kill my X10. In fact my computer room has gotten so bad that
my X10 thermostat no longer receives an X10 signal but I don't know if
it's damaged or it due to signal strength. The thermostat is on it's
own circuit (AC baseboard heating). The reason for signal strength
issuse is that I have 8 PLCs and several PC's all on the same circuit
(no where near overloading the 15 amp circuit).

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)