Re: Looking at Zwave products and need recommendations?

Neil Cherry <njc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>ZWave and I had discussions about getting that documentation for use
>with Open Source projects (the same few sections you discuss above).
>That was to say the least a fruitless conversation!  I took the time
>to explain what Open Source is and they initially agreed that they
>couldn't come to a comprimise. But they kept trying to push me to a
>consultant who would charge to write the Open Source driver as long as
>I signed their NDA (can you see the irony in that statement ? :-/ ). I
>wasn't upset with them saying no, I was upset with that last portion
>and the fact that they kept contacting me after I said that is not a
>feasible proposition. At that point they annoyed me. When I said I can
>not work with ZWave they should have taken the hint and dropped it. To
>this date I filter their email into the trash folder. Oh, the
>consultant was smart enough to figure out this wouldn't work and let
>it go.
>
>BTW, the dev kit they were trying to sell me was the $15K full blown
>hardware and software Dev Kit. I did let them know that it is fully
>possible to reverse engineer their serial & USB communications to get
>what the Open Source community wanted but that I won't bother helping
>them to sell any ZWave products.
>
>Sorry for the rant.

I also had discussions very early on which is where I got the impression
they only wanted to work with a certain entity. What irritates me the most
is that it appears to be impossible to now get them to stop emailing me
weekly (sometimes twice daily) about training seminars, etc. Of course,
their US sales honcho came from X-10 which might explain that.