Re: Battery Boxes...What One Company Designed

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:22:54 +0100, John Beardmore <wookie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <PF08b26emyKDFwG0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>In message <1126898631.801389.317530@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>Too_Many_Tools <too_many_tools@xxxxxxxxx> writes

>You seem to be coming at this the way a sculptor approaches a block of
>marble.
>
>You sound like you've found an interesting item, that requires a total
>overhaul to be made stunningly excellent, to greatly exceed the spec
>required to meet some undefined purpose.
>
>What are you actually wanting to achieve ?
>

>Cheers, J/.

My sons call this a " hood ornament project"  Finding a neat hood ornament,
they say, I would be inclined to build a car under it...

I can't answer for the original poster, but some projects, especially DIY home
automation projects, can be driven by what one can do rather than what needs to
be achieved. That's often OK.

(Ooops... I jist realized how cross-posted this thread is . Oh well)

A common constellation of reasons that do have specific, useful and attainable
objectives (which also happen to be mine) is to provide a power system that
provide:

1) protection of devices in the home/office/farm/cabin that contain
semiconductors and so may be damaged by lightning and possibly other power-line
disturbances

2) a useful amount of back-up power for lighting, electronic, and other
electrical equipment devices that are needed in emergencies

3) some personal outlet for frustration over 'energy dependence' in all its
contexts.

Gotta go! -- Lightning and thunder as I type this ;-)

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org