Re: CM15A and MisterHouse Module Starting Point

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:20:08 GMT, Dave Houston wrote:
> Neil Cherry <njc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>On 1 Sep 2005 17:14:09 -0700, Paul wrote:
>>> Thanks for the link Neil.
>>>
>>> How did you analyze the cm15a communication?  Some kind of line
>>> analyzer?  I'm thinking that there shouldn't be an arbitrary delay
>>> between addressing the devices and commanding them.
>>> Any ideas or can I email you privately?
>>
>>I think I used USB Snoopy on a Window 2K box (I need that for some of
>>my uController development software). Line analyzers go for around 2K,
>>expensive. The delay is not arbitrary (though the commands should be
>>buffered), X10 is slow. Remember that it take approximately 1/2 a
>>second to send the first part of the command and half a second for the
>>second part of the command (.833 ms actually on 60 Hz, 1s on 50 Hz).
>>At 4800 that's a lot of commands that can be sent but can not be
>>processed. I don't know much about the uController being used but I'm
>>willing to be it's got RAM limited memory. Had this been one of the
>>PIC14's (16F877 I've be abe to tell you more exact assumptions).
>
> X-10 still hasn't released any documentation on the protocol?

Nope, I've nagged them (even contacted David Rye). They said they'd
share and I've waited 9 months. I'm no longer developing software for
X10 (but I'll support what I have). I'm going with Insteon. So far it
looks promising (I know about the licensing issues, I'm working on
that).

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)