Re: Another ZigBee convert

Hello Robert,

> X10 still exists mainly because it's cheap and simple.  Most of
> the better designs have failed to gain X10-'s market share
> because they are either expensive, complicated to install/use or
> both.

Or they failed because some entity tried to squish exorbitant license
fees or royalties.

> X10 technology hasn't changed much since its inception.  It's
> still plagued with failures and it's still sensitive to
> interference from other common household devices.

Mainly because it's a simple carrier on/off AM protocol. When I started
with X-10 (because there was nothing else) I was quite disappointed when
I studied the transmission protocol. As an RF guy I foresaw lots of
problems and sure enough they all came to haunt me.

> The real challenge to X10 lies in developing technology such as
> Zwave, UPB and Zigbee.  IMO we'll still be dealing with X10
> problems for another few decades, if only because it's cheap and
> widely available.  I doubt it will hold the lion's share of the
> DIY market much longer.  As to the professionally installed HA
> market, X10 is unlikely to be able to hold onto even a small
> slice much longer.  Which dealer really wants to deal with
> constant service calls every time the homeowner plugs in a new
> UPS, PC, dishwasher or whatever?

Printers and laptops with their cheap switch mode power supplies seem to
be a real problem. I could always fix that with some ferrites and
capacitors but that can't be expected from the regular consumer or even
installers. Or bluntly speaking, by someone not living there. "Wait a
minute, what could have been running where when the lights failed to
come on?".

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com