Simple in-wall button to IR interface ?

Hi,

I'm looking for the simplest/cheapest way to have some kind of keypad
in my kitchen that will let me relay infrared signals to a receiver in
my basement.

I simply need volume buttons, and a couple of buttons that will let me
select the source from the receiver (CD, AUX for example).

I've seen the Xantech keypads, but I can't believe that such keypads
need to cost over $300 just to send infrared signals.

Is there a cheaper solution out there ?

Thanks.