Re: Product Idea: X10 to UPB/Zigbee/Insteon translator

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:11:43 GMT, "BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<jAR8f.2682$Jo3.347@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I don't know how big a deal it would be but I wonder about the
>feasibility and marketability of a device that would accept the same
>connection & signal input that the TW523 uses to then translate and
>issue a command in one of the newer HA formats. The device could be
>specific to one translation or could be a more universal device that
>could do all three.
> I think that such a device would be helpful in propagating the new
>technologies while enabling a user to use their "legacy" controller and
>support multiple formats rather than having to scrap everything and
>start over.
> Opinions? Dave H?

The topic of translators/converters comes up from time to time. As I've posted
in comp.home.automation before, in my opinion what is needed is a hydra-headed
device that can input an X10 signal (either TW523/TTL-level or CM11a/RS-232)
and output said X-10 dialect  *and* one or more additional protocols.

Otherwise, it seems to me that the usefulness of a converter/translator-only
device would be typically limited to folks willing to abandon all X-10 all at
once based on limitations of existing hardware and software in common use which
typically allow for one X-10 connection (Savoy's CyberHouse was one exception).

A hydra-headed device would accept the input of choice and allow routing of
different addresses to different output devices by reference to a routing table
sent to the device. This would add DMX512, UPB, Zigbee, UPB, whatever
capability to an existing system using software already installed without
disrupting existing use of X-10 (or other primary signal/protocol).

I've been plugging away as time permits on a such a
translator/converter/controller for my ActiveKnob motorized potentiometer
system and have posted recent progress on the Netmedia BX24p-based circuit
board here:

http://www.econtrol.org/16-pos_ak.htm

I hope to get the board files out to the fabricator within the month.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org